Saturday, September 1, 2012

Three Great Resources For New Teachers

I still remember the feelings I had as a new teacher - the anticipation keeping me awake the night before the first day of classes, the butterflies in the stomach, the concern that I wasn't going to be accepted by my new colleagues, etc.  In addition, I remember struggling to find resources that would be useful for me in my classroom.

Fortunately new teachers today have a wealth of resources for lesson plan support, classroom management issues, home/school communication, and anything else they need. The problem now however is that there are so many useful resources on-line that it is difficult to know exactly where to go for support that is both timely and high quality.  In order to help out with this, I thought I'd offer a three of my favorite resources for new teachers (and experienced teachers).




Edutopia 

This great site which is made possible by the George Lucas Educational Foundation is full of timely relevant content for all teachers. The list of educational blog categories on the right hand side of the home page is top notch, including a blog for new teacher support.  Don't miss José Vilson's Cheat Sheet for the First Days of School and Terrell Heick's Starting a New School Year: Nine Tips for Collaboration.  Don't forget to take a peek at the bottom of the right side to see the most popular recent posts.



Free Technology For Teachers

My go-to site for the most recent news on "free technology resources for teachers."  This site is maintained by Richard Byrne, a high school teacher from Maine. Richard and his site have received numerous awards for the quality of the resources that he shares.  Check out his most popular post from August - 43 Tips for New Teachers. Besides the numerous daily posts that Richard shares, he also has some great e-books available on his site like Google Drive and Documentss for Teachers,  How To Do 11 Techy Things in the New School Year, The Superbook of Webtools for Educators, and more...




Teacher Reboot Camp

This site from Shelly Terrell is another one that gives countless great resources and concrete descriptions of how teachers can integrate these resources into their daily practice. A few to start with are 14 Edtech Integration Tips & 20+ Resources for the School Year  and 10 Simple Ideas For Transforming Your Teaching This School Year. Shelly also offers a 30-goal challenge for teachers where she helps teachers accomplish 30 short-term goals related to education.  You can check out the archives here.

So that's where I would start in regards to resources new teachers should check out. I know there are a lot more out there. What would you recommend?
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment: